Tuesday, November 24, 2009

The Adventure Continues

I was full of hope when I went to the Oncologist last Thuesday, I was starting to feel better and it seemed my strength was returning so I fully expected better lab test results, to my surprise, they were worse. Platelets were down to 10, other readings remained about the same. My doctor was genuinely concerned that I was procrastinating and explained again that if the MDS progressed to full blown leukemia (AML) it would be much harder to treat. So reluctantly I agreed to begin treatment the following Monday. After telling her I would get a list of ingredients from my Naturopath, that he was using, we scheduled treatment to start the following Monday. At that point she told me I needed to get 2 units of blood and 1 unit of platelets within the next few hours. Wow, I thought we were past that, what a kick in the pants.


Went right to the Chemo Lab where they explained the whole drill to me and proceeded to draw cross & match for the infusion. My arms were a mess from a week of IV's at the Naturopath and after 5 unsuccessful attempts to find a vein, I passed out, they called a code and I created quite a commotion, needless to say everybody involved knows who I am now. Even the chaplain was there!

They finally got an IV placement and I proceeded to take 2 units of blood and 1 of platelets, we got out of there about 6:00PM, a long day! Thank God for neighbors who readily pitched in and fed the dogs while we were gone.

I am concerned that my Naturopath has not responded as I requested..... I guess he is busy.

Tuesday - 11/24/2009 - Well, we have started alleopathic treatment for MDS...... today they (VA Portland) got everything in a row and we started a treatment of  6 - 7 cycles, (7 days of IV then 3 weeks of weekly lab tests) is one cycle. The drug of choice was Vidaza. We were supposed to get a PIC (semi-permanent IV catheter that enters your right arm and sits about 1 inch above your heart) placed yesterday and begin treatment then, but somebody dropped the ball and it was not scheduled, so we went home. Today it worked OK, well kinda, after the initial attempt to install the PIC an XRAY showed it was too deep so they had to pull it out a little, once that was done the labs we done (no poking) :) and treatment was accomplished. I was encouraged that labs showed that blood counts were up a little, probably because of the insusions last Thursday.

Delivered the last puppy to their "forever home " when we got home.....that will ease things a bit for Sharon, what a trooper! Made some phone calls to hire someone to do daily chores with the dogs. Too much for Sharon, much will be said about a caregiver later. Also contacted a friend to replace the engine in my broken Suburban, we will need good four wheel drive transportation for this treatment schedule through the winter. I notice that one of my biggest adjustments is acceptance that I can't do it all like I used to. Acknowledging that I need help is difficult for me. My boat calls from the barn to be finished.....so close, yet elusive in my present condition, better days are coming!

Just an observation..... I think receiving treatment from a VA facility will be much like treatment under ObamaCare. The staff is great, could not ask for better, compassionate, caring, professonal, however very overworked. The volumn of patients is amazing. That place is like a city to itself. One must not assume that things get done, but take charge yourself to oversee your care.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for taking time to update us on what's happening with you. You are in our prayers. May God give you grace and peace and healing.

    ReplyDelete

We would really like to hear from you....take a few minutes and drop a line