Thursday, April 22, 2010

Now....the waiting!

Encouraging signs continue! Nurses say I have responded exceptionally to the drug Vidaza. Blood counts are almost back to the low end of "normal" and I feel really good. Instead of weekly blood tests they have stretched to monthly and I now am on a cycle of receiving the drug for 7 days and then off for 5 weeks, I still need to have the dressing on the PICC changed weekly.

They have commenced a series of tests that include X-Rays, EKG, CT Scans, Kidney, Liver, and teeth. I even got to visit a shrink to make sure my elevator was going all the way to the top.....hummm, wonder what she found! One thing I can say for sure, the dentist says all my teeth have to go! Swell, toothless in Seattle! Concern is that the gum diesease that I have experienced for many years will give opportunity for infection when they kill my existing blood cells. The VA will remove my teeth but I will be responsible to get dentures, maybe I'll get some chrome ones. The teeth I have are all worn out! They have served me well, the front ones are worn so flat I can't bte off a piece of pepperoni on a pizza, now that's bad......oops, forgot, not supposed to be eating pizza, well I'm sure that a couple times a week won't hurt! Gonna be like loosing some old friends.......

I have been able to do much of the work I used to do, lawn mowing, building stuff, tractor/bulldozer work, getting th garden ready, etc. Seems like each drug cycle effects me a little less and I get stronger after each one. I wonder how I would know if maybe the drug or God has answered prayers of many, many people and perhaps I would not need a transplant, nurss say thaey had never had anyone respond as well as I have, so that is a question that are researching.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would really like to hear from you....take a few minutes and drop a line